Monday 19 October 2015

Invitation to the Jim Sidanius Public Lecture at UJ on 20 October 2015

Dear Colleagues,

We are absolutely thrilled that Professor Jim Sidanius (Harvard University) has agreed to give a public lecture at the University of Johannesburg. As you may know, he is a HUGE figure in social psychology. I have attached a brief bio for those who are unfamiliar with his work. Please distribute to your networks.  

Title: Macro-Micro Interfacing and the Production of Group-Based Social Hierarchy: The Case of Individual Differences in Social Dominance and Institutional Terror
Date: 20 October 2015
Time: 12h15
Venue: Madibeng Council Chambers
RSVP: Madalein Bezuidenhout madaleinb@uj.ac.za by 12 October 2015


Abstract

As an example of attempts to explore the interaction between macro- and micro-levels analysis, social dominance theory argues that the creation, maintenance and re-creation of group based social hierarchy is, among other factors, a result of interacting forces acting at multiple levels of analysis. These levels of analysis include the production and dissemination of system-wide social ideologies and social practices, the hierarchy-enhancing and hierarchy attenuating character of social institutions, the dynamics of social identities and the differential behavioral predispositions of individuals embedded within social institutions. In this talk, I will focus on the intersection between institutions of social repression and institutional terrorism, and individual differences in preference for group-based social inequality. Finally, I will examine some of the precise mechanisms responsible for the matching of individuals with hierarchy enhancing or hierarchy attenuating tastes with the hierarchy attenuating/enhancing character of social institutions within which individuals are embedded.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I work in a communication company I want to share my testimony to the world, my name is Doris pinto, i am from united kingdom in belfast north ireland, I was a stripper in a club I got effected with HIV due to the nature of my job, In april 15 2013 i was tested positive to HIV, Believe it or not this is a true life experience. This is not design to convince you but its just a personal health experience . I never taught doctor Abija could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but I couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend a lot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i came across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of this great powerful healing spell doctor ,I wonder why he is called the great papa Abija, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so I quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and so i did all the things he asked me to do, He never collected any money from me until I was finally cured, only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i went to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing doctor Abija gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too on his email: spirituallighthealing101@live.com thank you doctor for healing me from HIV. I am free and happy!

    ReplyDelete